CONCEPTS ABOUT PRINT
Work on these skills all year long! Any order is fine!
- Front of book.
- Print contains message
- All directionality such as: where to start reading, which way to go (l to r), return sweep, word by word matching
- First and last part of a sentence
- Bottom of the picture
- Line order
- Left page before right
- Change in letter order and word order. You could rewrite a page and change the word order in a sentence, and change the letter order in a word.
- Meaning of period, question mark, comma, quotation marks
- If shown a capital letter, can they point to the corresponding lower case somewhere on the page?
- Finding reversible words like “no” (on) and “was” (saw)
- Using 2 cards, have them slide the cards to make a window and show you: one letter, two letters, one word, two words, first letter of a word, last letter of a word, and capital letter. Use the term “capital” when teaching this concept. This use of cards is best done on one line of text.