Total Pageviews

Friday, June 24, 2016

Kidwriting Crowns and Rhyming


Direct, explicit instruction in kindergarten!  "How?" do you ask?

  You focus on the rhyming part of the "Kidwriting Crowns!

I combined the words together on one sheet.  It will be available to use at all times and can travel around the room! It can move with the kids! Yeah!  So I solved a bigger concern of "Too Much Stuff" hanging around the room for the ADH kiddos!


I am going to start each day with a review of these words but my focus is going to be on the phonemic awareness part of these crowns, the rhyming, phonics, and letter naming fluency (don't you love it when you can tie it all together)!  The letters pull in the phonics so I hope that learning letters and words will happen more quickly in fun and engaging way!

So, what do I mean?

I am going to bind the 8 1/2 X 11 posters into a book and teach these words with the rhyme!  This makes so much sense since rhyming can be difficult for students!  

I will use direct, explicit instruction.  Every student will answer every time to help the brain remember!  So it will sound like this:

Teacher: This is the word I.  What's this word?
Students: I
Teacher:  The word I rhymes with spy.  What does I rhyme with?
Students: spy
Teacher:  When you write the word I, you write a capital I.  How do you spell the word I?
Students:  Capital I
Teacher:  What is this word?
Students: I
Teacher:  What does I rhyme with?
Students: spy
Teacher:  How do you spell the word I?
Students:  Capital I

The next day I will review the word I and add another picture: (Be sure to review)
Teacher: This is the word am.  What's this word?
Students: am
Teacher:  The word am rhymes with ham.  What does am rhyme with?
Students: ham
Teacher:  When you write the word am, you write a m (point to am on the poster).  How do you spell the word am?
Students:   a m (be sure to point to the letters)
Teacher:  What is this word?
Students: am
Teacher:  What does I rhyme with?
Students: ham
Teacher:  How do you spell the word am?
Students:  a m (be sure to point to the letters)

I will continue to review and teach a new word each day!  I am thinking it will work quickly because I am not worrying about writing these words at first!  The main focus is the rhyming and then connecting the letter names to the picture of the letters, yes phonics in a fun direct, explicit instruction way!

I have finished creating my Kidwriting Crowns and the students sheet.  Click on the picture to see this product.  If you click on the preview, you will see all the pages!
I love how they have turned out; the border added an extra touch that I love!  I printed them on card stock, laminated and cut them out!! Oh yeah, oh yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment