Total Pageviews

Monday, July 17, 2017

Poetry Procedure Fun


Working with poetry helps build a culture of reading within any classroom! I love to use a poem a week to help kindergarten/ 1st grade students focus and play with reading and poetry.

1st Day-Listen/Discuss/Read Poem 

I like to have the students close their eyes and imagine what they hear. No pictures allowed! Students turn and discuss what was imagined. Then I show the poem and point to the words as I reread, still no picture...no comprehension questions, just enjoyment of a simple poem.

2nd Day-Reread

I read the poem as I point to the words. Usually the students will join along and read with me. Sometimes I need to encourage them...a slight pause usually works. I usually have an image at this point. Yes, discussion usually follows.

3rd Day-Reread and Take Turns

Students get a chance to point to the words as the class chorally reads the poem. Students love to choose a special pointer. It really helps me see who has one to one correspondence and provides practice.

4th Day-Reread and Hunt

We practice reading the poem once and then student hunt for words or letters depending on the ability of the students. Once a few students practice chorally reading, the students can circle or highlight words I ask for them to find in their personal journals. I usually only let them hunt the words I ask for because they will sometimes circle all words, and I really want to focus the learning.

5th Day-Illustrate/Color

We reread the poem in their journals as they all point to the words in journals. We hunt for special words and/or letters then the students can color and illustrate their poem. Once finished, students reread other poems or count words/ letters as they wait for their friends to finish.

Check out this short, informative video on how I use these poems! So much fun and rewarding to watch the students grow as readers of poetry!

Must Have Poetry Resource

Free LOVE Poem

4 comments:

  1. I love reading your class updates! they give me so many fantastic ideas for my own classes as well! keep sharing and god bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved going through this post! gave me so many ideas about what i can do in my own class as well and ensure effectiveness of lessons

    ReplyDelete